Taking the Deep Dive End of Year


As you wrap up the year, take time to journal and notice your year. December is a great month to look at the whole year and help set your compass for how you want to navigate 2019. Here are some journal questions I have used to help me look back as well as look forward. Consider sitting with a friend after journaling and discussing your answers.

Questions to Look Back on the Year
What was the most spiritually fulfilling part of the year? 

Who did you have quality time with?

How did you participate with your family?
How did you manage your finances? 

Did you accomplish goals or a vision? What progress did you make? 

How did you care for yourself?

How did you treat your body? What health needs did you have? 

What do you notice was too much? What was too little? 

It's important to do some research and really dive into each of the questions. One of my deep dives was to look closely at my calendar, my bank statements, my computer files - I keep track of certain things by the year. I noticed last year I did lots of presentations and I felt I did too many. It helped me to readjust for this year and to present less in person and offer online classes. This is just one example of the many things I noticed as I researched each of the questions.

The next part is to reset your compass for this new year.

Questions to Look Ahead for the Year 
Who do you want to spend quality time with?

Is there something new you want to learn? What is it and how will you get there? 

Do you have some health needs to pay attention to this year? What can you do to support your body? 

How do you want to participate in your family?

What financial changes do you want to make? 

What dream do you have, a promise you want to make for yourself for this year?

What would be spiritually fulfilling for you? 

Anything you need more of? Less of? 

The Compass setting questions require planning ahead. It involves looking over the months ahead and asking yourself what would you need to do in the months ahead to reset your compass. How can you make room on your calendar for your answers? What do you need to save money for? What do you need to schedule? 

And then of course we always have the unexpected. The great thing about this exercise is it helps you see your priorities. And then when the "unknown" happens, your priorities will be in clear view for you. When you need to readjust your compass, it won't be as overwhelming because you have a practice of looking at your priorities. You'll know how to ask yourself what matters most.