Moving People Forward with Kate

I’m doing Transform Your Boundaries® Workshops on the road, training a variety of people in professions working intensively with people. This interview is with Kate Grossman McVay, who I believe is truly masterful at transforming organizations and communities by moving people forward together. I am honored to say she is my friend. When I met her many years ago, she had stepped in to clean up a huge mess in an organization. She won me over with her diligence, teamwork, ability to see a better future, and honesty.

Sarri: Share a little bit about the breadth of your work.

Kate: I have been engaged in work with youth and families for almost 30 years.  I began my career at a Community Center in Chicago, working in an immigrant community to develop youth leadership and job training programs.  When I came to Seattle in the 1990s, I became involved in developing and operating residential programs for homeless youth. For the last 12 years, I have worked for the University of Washington’s Northwest Institute for Children and Families and the Casey Foundation, doing program evaluation and public policy analysis around issues relating to children and families.

Sarri: You now live on Whidbey Island with your husband Pat. How old is your son?
Kate: My son Reilly is 11 years old and entering middle school in the fall.

How long have you been the Executive Director of Mother Mentors?

I have been the Director of Mother Mentors of Whidbey Island since January of 2014.

What is it about Mother Mentors that attracted you to work with them?

I really love the idea of neighbors helping neighbors as opposed to an “expert” telling someone what to do, or in our case, how to parent.

If you could look back to your younger self and give her advice, what would you tell her (knowing what you know now)?

I would advise my younger self to figure out what specific types of work are most meaningful, then to strive to reach the stars with that work and don’t give up until you have achieved your goals.   Although I have had a very rewarding career, I have sometimes shied away from leadership positions, even though I knew I could do the work.  Also, finding ways in which to achieve a sensible work-life balance is important. I did not realize this when I was young; I just worked all the time.

What has been your greatest challenge or the life lesson you have personally danced with in your career?

My greatest challenge has been learning to have confidence in myself as a leader and trusting in my own abilities.  It is amazing how, when you speak with confidence, other people respond positively.

What has helped you thrive doing social work for this many years?

I think having a strong sense of compassion for people and realizing that we all have much in common has helped me continue the work. I also think having a sense of humor and being able to step back from the work have been critical to avoiding burnout.

Avoiding burnout is an essential skill if you work with people. Anyone who works with people extensively is at high risk. My workshop is designed to address this issue.

Upcoming Transforming Your Boundaries® Workshops:

October 17: Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma * CEU’s for licensed therapists and associates; MFT’s, MHC’s, LICSW’s, LASW’s
October 18: Tacoma, WA

https://www.facebook.com/TransformYourBoundaries