Connection

I asked a couple of people to share with me some of the highlights from the places that make a big difference.  I wanted to share with you some heart-messages for the holidays.

HEART MESSAGE 1: MAKING A CONNECTION

 He is a youth that tends to be a bit of a show off, acting like he doesn’t need anyone or anything, like nothing matters and he doesn’t care.  We were all worried about him.  I got to observe him patiently sitting on a bench trying to lure the squirrel that seems to reside in our courtyard to him.  The young man had placed some nuts on his shoe and he sat patiently, silently coaxing this squirrel to his foot.  When the squirrel finally did run up and grab a nut the smile on this kid’s face was priceless.  And then to watch him run in to share his excitement about this little event with his fellow youth and staff – well it made me feel like he was able to reconnect with the world.  Such a small thing, and such joy that it brought. - Cassie Franklin, CEO Cocoon House

Reconnecting with the world. To make a connection or reconnection, we journey outward. We don't know if someone will be there to greet us. I have been both the  squirrel and the boy at times.
It is a great practice to recognize when someone is waiting for you...to notice them. 
The kindness of your connection can offer so much.
It was a long time ago that I started Cocoon House. I can't imagine what would have happened if the Lion's club did not step forward and offer to buy a house to start the shelter for teens- way back in 1991. They mortgaged their Bingo Parlor for a total stranger.  And changed the lives of thousands of kids for 24 years! What a powerful connection. You never know what happens when you put a nut on your foot.
More recently, I had a friend from long ago reach out to me on Facebook. He started with an apology, something he wanted to deliver to me. It was the nut on his foot.
This was not an apology I was waiting for or seeking, but I realized receiving it was very important.  I accepted the nut in the loving spirit it was offered. 
We get so many chances to create connections. 

Keep putting the nut on your foot! Extraordinary things happen. - Sarri

To learn more about Cocoon House,  please click here